Just thought I would join the fray with a list for this new year. Ten seems to be the number and appropriate, so here are my ten thoughts and predictions for 2010 (pronounced twenty-ten☺) in random order:
- The church at large will continue to leverage technology while at the same time becoming more relationally focused. This while we become even more passionate and effective at reaching those far from God.
- More books will be published this year than any in history. Many of these will never be printed in traditional form but will be distributed digitally.
- Laptops will take another step (or two) to becoming the new desktop and mobile computing will see some significant new advances in capabilities as devices get smaller and more powerful.
- Churches will take even more steps toward real unity in reaching people as differences that have divided will become less important. At the same time, some will become even more isolated as they allow those differences to build even bigger walls. The latter group will (hopefully) be the smaller group, but very vocal.
- There will be more and more “product placement” ads in TV shows and movies as both become distributed virtually at an exponentially increasing rate.
- “Augmented reality” will become a more recognizable and understandable term as these tools move more mainstream.
- More new churches will be planted this year than any in recent history, if not ever.
- 3-D will make its way into more venues and applications including our living rooms. Sports will probably lead the way in this. 3-D holograms are on their way.
- Entertainment will move toward even more interactive using mobile technology.
- The 49ers will dominate the NFC in the fall! The Yankees will win another World Series! College football will announce their plans for a playoff system to replace the BCS! (I can dream can’t I?!)
There’s my 10 thoughts for 2010. These are not prophecies and are completely my unqualified opinions, assumptions, and random wild guesses as I sit here watching Sunday night football. As you can see I am a mix of a sports nut, geek, and pastor.
Go ahead and weigh in, what did I get wrong or right? Or just throw your two cents in…