I promised I would post some of my notes from today’s message on my blog because I flew through a list of scriptures.
Before we can know God’s specific will as an individual, we must know His universal will. That which is true for everyone regardless of age, geography, time in history, language, race, or gender. Living complete in the purpose of God begins with His Universal Will.
- Surrender (repent, die to self) – 2 Peter 3:9
- Gospel is preached to whole world – Matthew 24:14
- Renew your mind – Romans 12:1-2
- Be filled with the Spirit – Ephesians 5:15-21
- Obey the Word of God – Matt 19:17 & John 14:15
- Do good – 1 Peter 2:15 & James 2:17
- Don’t sin – 1 John 3:9
- Be joyful – 1 Thes. 5:16-18
- Pray continually – 1 Thes. 5:16-18
- Give thanks always – 1 Thes. 5:16-18
Once we know this and are working to live out His universal will, then we are on track and able to hear His voice speak His specific will into our lives.
But with all the noise and voices in the world today, it can be difficult to always know for sure we are “hearing” His voice correctly. Yes, the Bible says we are His sheep and His sheep know His voice, but it takes time to learn.
We have to learn the art of listening.
Here are some steps & principles to use to learn and discern the voice of God speaking His will to us:
- God most often reveals His will day by day as we need it -Lamentations 3:22-23 & Luke 9:23
- God has it under control, our job is to trust Him – Jeremiah 29:11
- Encounter God – Jeremiah 29:12-13 & Isaiah 28:29
- Examine your choices – Colossians 3:17 & Philippians 4:8
- Evaluate sense of clarity – Romans 12:1-3 & Philippians 2:1
- Enlist counsel, seek advice – Proverbs 15:22
- Embrace a decision – Psalm 37:4 & Colossians 3:17
Living “Complete” in the purpose of God is a matter of hearing His voice and following. As you do, you will find a freedom of soul and a free flow of creativity and life unlike you can experience following the path of your design.